Air India is the flag carrier airline of India, headquartered in New Delhi. It is owned by the Government of India and is one of the largest airlines in Asia. Some key facts about Air India:
– Founded in 1932 as Tata Airlines, nationalized in 1953
– Hubs: Indira Gandhi Intl Airport (Delhi), Chhatrapati Shivaji Intl (Mumbai)
– Alliance: Star Alliance
– Fleet Size: Over 140 aircraft
– Destinations: 94 domestic, 38 international
– Passengers: Over 20 million annually
– Revenue: ₹229 billion (2020-21)
– Employees: Over 9,000
Air India has an extensive domestic network within India as well as international services focused largely on the Middle East, UK, USA and Southeast Asia.
Air India offers connectivity between all major cities and regional destinations across India. Some key routes include:
– Delhi – Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Hyderabad
– Mumbai – Chennai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad
– Chennai – Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Trivandrum, Madurai
– Kolkata – Bengaluru, Patna, Guwahati
Key international routes served by Air India are:
– Middle East – Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Kuwait, Bahrain
– UK/USA – London, New York, Chicago, Newark
– Southeast Asia – Singapore, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur
– Europe – Frankfurt, Milan
Air India also operates a number of India bound long haul routes from key international gateways.
The Air India fleet has over 140 aircraft including:
– Narrow-body: Airbus A320 family for domestic routes
– Wide-body: Boeing 777, 787 Dreamliner for long haul flights
– Regional: ATR-42 and CRJ for regional connectivity
It has 24 new 787-8 Dreamliners with modern cabins and amenities for long haul international expansion.
Air India offers First Class, Business Class and Economy Class on its wide-body jets.
– First Class – Fully lie-flat pods with luxury dining and amenities
– Business Class – Lie-flat seats, lounge access
– Premium Economy – Added legroom and amenities
– Economy – Standard comfort
Domestic flights have Business and Economy cabins with recliner-style seats.
Frequent Flyer Program – Flying Returns
Flying Returns is the frequent flyer program where members can earn miles on Air India flights and Star Alliance partners. Miles can be redeemed for reward flights, upgrades and lounge access. There are basic, silver and gold membership tier levels.
Air India operates lounges at its hub airports in Delhi and Mumbai under the ‘Maharaja Lounge’ brand. There are separate First and Business class lounges providing services like buffet meals, business center, WiFi, shower facilities and conference rooms.