American Airlines (AA) is a major US airline headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas. It operates an extensive domestic and international network, with hubs in Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C.
– Founded in 1930, started operations in 1936
– Hubs: Charlotte, Chicago, DFW, LAX, MIA, JFK, PHL, PHX, DCA
– Alliance: Oneworld
– Fleet Size: Over 1,500 mainline & regional aircraft
– Destinations: Over 250 destinations worldwide
– Passengers: Over 200 million annually
– Revenue: $29.9 billion (2021)
– Employees: 123,000
American is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and employees. It has an extensive domestic network within the US as well as international services to Europe, South America, Asia and Oceania.
American Airlines has an expansive domestic network serving over 100 destinations across the US including:
– East Coast – New York, Boston, Washington DC, Miami
– Midwest – Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Minneapolis
– South – Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa
– West Coast – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas
Key regions served by American’s international network include:
– Europe – London, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Frankfurt
– Latin America – Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
– Asia – Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong
– Oceania – Sydney
American is part of the Oneworld alliance which includes partners like British Airways, Qantas and Japan Airlines.
American Airlines operates one of the world’s largest fleets made up of:
– Airbus A320 family – A319, A320, A321
– Boeing 737 – 700, 800, MAX 8
– Boeing 777, 787 Dreamliner – Long haul widebody
– Boeing 757, 767 – Older narrowbody and widebody
It has hundreds of regional jets operated by partners under the American Eagle brand.
American offers First, Business, Premium Economy and Economy class:
– First Class – Fully lie-flat seats, premium dining and amenities
– Business Class – Lie-flat pods with direct aisle access
– Premium Economy – Extra legroom and amenities
– Main Cabin – Standard economy class
It has retrofitted much of its long-haul fleet with lie-flat seats and new interiors.
AAdvantage Frequent Flyer
The AAdvantage program has basic, Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elite tiers. Members can earn miles on American and Oneworld flights to redeem rewards.
American operates Admirals Club lounges in its hub airports and other locations. They provide seating, complimentary snacks/drinks, WiFi and other amenities for travelers. Flagship Lounges offer heightened luxury experience.